RODRIGUEZ NAMED FERRISS TROPHY FINALIST

JSU-logounnamedJSU Fans asked to vote for Melvin Rodriguez at www.csopavoting.com

JACKSON, Miss. – Jackson State baseball senior Melvin Rodriguez has been named finalists for the 12th annual C Spire Ferriss Trophy. He is the leading hitter in NCAA Division I baseball. He is second in the country in batting average and sacrifice flies and third in RBIs.

The second baseman from Manati, PR has a .439 batting average with 93 hits (20 doubles, three triples and seven home runs) and 64 RBIs. He has a .962 fielding percentage.

The Ferriss Trophy is presented yearly to the most outstanding college baseball player in Mississippi. Voting for the award is done by pro scouts and college coaches, who make up 90 percent of the final vote, and fan voting makes up the other 10 percent. Fan voting begins May 12 at 9 am and ends May 17 at 12 pm. Online fan voting will be conducted at www.csopavoting.com

The winner will be announced during a luncheon on Monday, May 18 at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. Call 601-982-9264 for tickets or purchase online at msfame.com.